Monday, July 8, 2013

Time to Focus and Put it into Practice

Do you ever feel like you are being bombarded with information and advice?

I'm really feeling that now, as I contemplate beginning homeschooling. The sad thing about it is, it is mostly self-inflicted. I am the one that's researching online, devouring blogs about homeschooling and Charlotte Mason and organizing your days with preschoolers. I click on links recommended by other homeschoolers on Facebook; I pin helpful tips on Pinterest. Most of what I read is excellent advice and truly useful information from people who have been there and know what they're talking about.

When is it time to decide that the amount of information I have already is enough? If I put into practice a fraction of what I've "learned" on-line, I'd probably be set for the rest of my homeschooling life.

It's time to slow down and to take stock of what I've learned. It's time to focus my attention on one thing rather than have it scattered in thousand different directions as it is when I follow the trail of links. It's time to articulate what I believe about children, about education, about parenting. It's time for me to really learn, not just by reading, but by putting it into practice over the long term.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not denying the helpfulness of learning from others' experience and expertise. It's just that there is a time and place for everything. If the time I'm spending reading and learning about life is taking time away from actually living that life, perhaps it's time to stop and re-evaluate my priorities.

I plan to begin reading Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling Series this summer. I will consciously plan to cut back on other written sources of information and advice so I can really focus on this one thing for now. I really believe this will be of value to me through all my homeschooling years. My resolve is to read it slowly, to think about it deeply, and to pray over it. Slowly but surely, I will put into practice the things that apply to me and my family.

What about you? How do you deal with the bucket-loads of information coming at you in this age of the internet?
Have you ever consciously decided that "enough is enough", even while realizing that there is still so much helpful and interesting information "out there" just waiting for you to discover?

2 comments:

  1. I hear you. Now that I'm thinking about it, I tend to handle this by picking people I trust, and going their way. Like the way I'll read books on homeschooling that you recommend, but not ones from Kate.
    I would be a great candidate for mentoring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that's really what I'm doing with Charlotte Mason...everything I've heard and read about her so far has been mostly trustworthy and worth thinking about, so I'll focus on her writing for now.

    ReplyDelete