Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wednesday with Words: George Herbert

Today is our 9th wedding anniversary, and I didn't remember it at all until just now (9:15 PM). (Don't worry, we are still happily married, despite the oversight!) I opened my favourite poetry anthology at random, and there was George Herbert's "The Call," which was sung at our wedding. So today for Wednesday with Words, I'd like to share that poem with you.



The Call

Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life:
Such a Way, as gives us breath: 
Such a Truth as ends all strife:
Such a Life, as killeth death.

Come, my Light, my Feast, my Strength:
Such a Light, as shows a feast:
Such a Feast, as mends in length:
Such a Strength, as makes his guest.

Come, my Joy, my Love, my Heart:
Such a Joy, as none can move:
Such a Love, as none can part: 
Such a Heart, as joyes in love.



If you'd like to hear it sung, here is a beautiful version of the Vaughan Williams arrangement.