Friday, January 9, 2015

This Week's Musical Teatime

We are still doing our "Musical Teatime" once a week on Thursdays. This term we are listening to Handel. We watched "The Messiah" during December. Now we are on to his "Water Music" and "Music for the Royal Fireworks." Beyond choosing the pieces we will listen to, I don't put a lot of planning into this beforehand. Yesterday we stumbled upon a beautiful, graceful baroque dance set to Handel's "Water Music."


Following that, we watched an electrifying version of the "Music for the Royal Fireworks" performed by Le Concert Spirituel conducted by Herve Niquet. (Sorry, I know I need an accent in his name, but can't figure it out right now.) If you like watching conductors, here's one worth watching. He has a bit of a villainous look, for one thing. Then the way he conducts is beyond description. He seems to  move and shape the music with his hands in a way I've never seen anyone else do. Fascinating. Watch it just for that.


Next week I plan to look for some Handel music performed on an organ (My boys love organs because their Opa has one.). I will also check if the Music Animation Machine (musanim) has anything by Handel. Yes, this is the way I "plan"...