Saturday, March 14, 2015

Saturday Catch-All: Toddler Colours, March Break, Smiles

A New Colour is Named

MM(2) has always amused us by making up his own names for colours. So far, green is "turtle," red is "berry," and brown is "chocolate." New this week is "Winnie-the-Pooh" for yellow.

March Break

We just had our March break, a week earlier than the school system here on PEI. But we were done our second term with Ambleside Online, and I needed a break to plan the third term. Our second term took us about fifteen weeks to complete instead of twelve, thanks to our new baby. I was quite happy with that. We took our breaks when we needed them, and just kept moving through our readings.

We are planning to start with Singapore Math this coming term. I was and still am happy with Miquon. I just switched because I think SA(6) will enjoy the steadiness of going consecutively through a book, and I think he's ready for a little more independence. (With Miquon, we tended to pick our lessons based on whatever we were interested in at the time, though over time we completed everything.) I had come close to the end of Miquon Blue, and had to decide whether to buy the next one, or switch. So I switched, going to Singapore 2A. Looking at it now, I'm wondering if I should have chosen 2B. We'll see how it goes. If it turns out to be a mistake, I can always change my mind again.

I injured my shoulder last week, which meant I did not get nearly as much work done as I had hoped. I was going to organize all my books. I even took "before" pictures on Monday, because they were a mess. Here's one corner of the "library."

Today the shoulder is slightly better than yesterday, so I'm hoping it's on the mend and I'll be able to continue a little at a time.


Sweet Smiles

AJ is six weeks old now, and smiling. He is equally generous with his smiles towards his big brothers as he is towards me. MM is especially thrilled with this. "I like him, Mama," he says. They all love him.